lunes, 17 de junio de 2013

Negotiating the next step


My grandfather came to Barcelona for my graduation, yesterday we were talking about what I will do after I hand my thesis in the next 3 months. I was adamant that I would go first to the United States to get my Green card. My father did not agree arguing that I would loose time and that I should start looking for anything (internship, master…) in any part of the world to star gathering experience. So, we began to discuss the matter at hand. My BATNA, of course, would be to get my residence in order to get a bigger market option for an internship or future work, with a better “international experience” since I did all my bachelor in Spain, while at the same time being closer to my family which are all in America... with escalating crisis in Spain and the fact of being so far away and alone that was also my negotiating strategy.

I kept cool and calmly asked questions to understand where were the doubts were coming from until I realized he was just trying to search for other options just in case something went wrong. At the end and after a very long negotiation session he understood both my points and we agreed on taking those few month to tramit my Green card and study a 3rd language so I would make the best of that time before going into an internship or work in United States

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario